Thursday 2 April 2015

The Sekere musical Instrument of the Yoruba people

The Sekere is a percussion instrument that also considered a drum. It is a hallowed out , dried gourd
wearing a network of beads which allow percussionist to utilize dual sounds while playing. The dual sounds being the sound or tone of the gourd itself in addition to the sound of the beads on the gourd. They’re made in different shapes, size and color. Yoruba ppl sometimes use this in church and at a cultural dance. They’re made in different shapes, size and color. How To Hold Your Sekere When handling and/or playing your sekere, or any instrument, treat it with respect and courtesy. Always hold your sekere in a slanted, diagonal position. If you are right handed you would loosely grasp the neck of the sekere with your right hand and gently cup the bottom in your left hand. If your are left handed you would loosely grasp the neck with your left hand and cup the bottom with your right. All of the control when playing the instrument is in the hand around the neck. The best way to hold your gourd is to hold your sekere with your thumb and forefinger and middle finger around the neck. Striking the Gourd Strike the sekere with the palm of your hand safely avoiding the beads. The hand on the bottom of the sekere is used to bring out the tones in your instrument. All sekere (s) have different tones which is the sound you get when you strike the bottom of the gourd. Some are low and some are high, some are easy to find and some are not. It is up to you to bring out the tone in your gourd. You do this by lifting the gourd by the neck with your controlling hand then dropping the gourd while at the same time striking the bottom of your sekere. Please avoid striking it directly in the center of the belly which would be the small noggin which you can usually feel if you run your hand along the bottom of the gourd. The hand you are lifting with should not be too snugly wrapped around the neck of your gourd but loosely riding along it.
THE CULTURAL VALUE OF THE SEKERE
If I were ever asked to choose my most valuable and fulfilling creative activity, handicrafts would have to be my first choice. Since childhood, I have pursued many forms of creative expression, but, as an adult, one of my favorite crafting pleasures has been making the sekere.  I also take much pleasure in teaching others the craft, history and use of the instrument.  The flexibility of the sekere provides an easy and enjoyable way for participants to develop creative independence.

The making and playing of the sekere is an energizing experience for me that establishes a spiritual connection to my ancestors’ strength and genius. That connection is important to me because it guides me toward a better understanding of my inherent potential.  It keeps me aware of the rich cultural responsibilities passed on to me and the abundant cultural possibilities I leave to those who follow me.


My involvement with the sekere also connects me to a worldwide community of musicians and crafters, further enriching my creative spirit. Sharing techniques, supporting each other, developing musical and creative bonds, brings us closer together, strengthening the fabric of the culture for future generations. I am very proud to have the ability to take part in the preservation and promotion of the traditions of African music and cra

fts.

Source: allaboutnigeriablog

1 comment:

  1. Ringtoningtonington Ringtonington Road - Tatia, Malta
    Ringtonington is located in the heart of titanium sponge the city centre. The road is titanium mesh located on the Ringtonington Road titanium hammers to the centre of titanium band ring Tatia, the titanium chain United Kingdom. Ringtonington is home to an

    ReplyDelete